[Nottingham] Firefox problem

Dave Luff daveluff at ntlworld.com
Wed Jan 23 19:01:14 UTC 2013

Hi Ron,

Flash support is the biggest bug-bear I have had with Linux over the
last few years.  Flash was working for me on Ubuntu-based distros up to
probably 1 or 2 years ago, and following an update stopped working.  It
never worked again on that PC over several Ubuntu-based distros (various
versions of Lubuntu and Ubuntu).

That PC dates back to approx 2002 (Athlon XP2600).  Since then I've
installed Ubuntu on a fairly new Dell laptop and Kubuntu on a brand new
self-build i5 desktop and flash has worked fine.

When I extensively googled the flash problem on the old PC, I found many
other reports of similar problems, but no reliable solutions, and
nothing I tried worked (purging config files, reinstalling both through
the package system and direct from adobe, etc).  Flash worked fine on
Windows XP on the same machine.  My belief based on the available
evidence is that on some older hardware Flash on Linux (or at least
Ubuntu) is simply unlikely to ever work.  FWIW, the old PC was an Athlon
XP2600, fitted with an NVidia GForce graphics card of some discription.
If I get bored I might try putting an ATI card in and see if that helps.

Jason Irwin wrote:

Adobe no longer support Flash on GNU/Linux unless you are running
Chrome.  But I can't see that being an issue unless this maths package
requires the latest and greatest version of Flash.  And even if it is,
there is a fairly easy way around it (see end).

On the PC I had trouble with, it definitely failed on Chromium at the
same time as on Firefox.  Does Chromium == Chrome in this instance, or
should I specifically try Chrome?  I wish I'd known about your suggested
work around earlier - it would have saved me a lot of rebooting into
windows!

Cheers - Dave