[Nottingham] KDE weirdness

stripes theotoky stripes.theotoky at googlemail.com
Tue Jul 30 22:42:46 UTC 2013

More progress,

> ls -alR /var > permissions
> >
> > and send me the permissions file.
>
> Can you not get that from some weird incantation with "apt-get" to list
> the package files and permissions?

Probably but I don't know how. It is something I must research in case I
ever have to do this again.

Reset all the file ownerships in /var (the permissions file was 180 pages
so it has taken a while to work though it.) I didn't change the permissions
just the owners and it seems to have worked.

system boots

apt-get update
apt-get dist-upgrade
apt-get -f install

No errors

which is much better than it was before.
Still drops me to the command line.

cat /var/log/kdm.log gives this error

/usr/lib/kde4/libexec/kdm_greet: symbol look up error:
/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libQtSvg-so.4: undefined symbol:
_ZNK14QWidgetPrivate17hasHeightForWidthEv

Server terminated successfully (0). Closing log file.

I get similar errors in trying to start dolphin, kate, kile.

So at present I can log into the command line.
startx gives me lnusertemp error
xinit starts an x term where I can start some graphical software not
dependent on libQtSvg

Very odd really.

Stripes