[Nottingham] cp and a progress/working indicator

Martin martin at ml1.co.uk
Fri Jun 14 10:19:17 UTC 2013

> face/palm.  ...

> Also...I am now seriously regretting not re-formatting these USBs to
> ext4 before starting.
> Hey ho, CPU clobber it is!

Hope not too seriously...

Hope you're not trying to copy individual *nix files onto a non-*nix
filesystem? All yer file metadata will be warped...

If they are archive files, then fine for the file permissions because
those are safely hidden inside the archive. But... Do you really trust a
non-*nix filesystem with your data? ;-)

"top", "iotop", and the mega-combined-everything-"atop" are all useful
indicators as to whether anything is happening and to show whether you
are io-bound, cpu-bound, thrashing, or anything else.

Myself, I'm still old-school and like to see how the blinken lights
blink! (For example, HDD and network activity. Shame there aren't any
for the CPU cores any more :-( )

-    Martin Lomas    - OpenPGP (GPG/PGP) Public Key: 0xCEE1D3B7
- martin @ ml1 co uk - Import from   hkp://subkeys.pgp.net   or
- ------------------ - http:// ml1 .co .uk/martin_ml1_co_uk.gpg