[Nottingham] Dual Boot - Windows updates and Linux boot failures

David Aldred davidaldred at gmail.com
Thu Nov 28 21:55:43 UTC 2013

On 28 November 2013 17:05, Jason Irwin <jasonirwin73 at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 26/11/13 17:32, David Aldred wrote:
> > If I close down Windows when it has started the update installation
> > process, then restart in Linux,, Linux fails to boot.  If I reboot into
> > Windows, and allow the update process to finish, then restart in Linux,
> > it's fine.
> I just tried this scenario after installing a couple of Windows Updates
> that demanded a reboot. I managed to boot back into Kubuntu 13.10
> directly (then I rebooted into Windows so it could finish).
>
> Did you manage to find any details of the failure in the log files?

Sorry, been busy with other things.

I've just had a look, and found this in a dmesg file:

[   16.739275] BUG: unable to handle kernel paging request at
0000000800000012
[   16.739304] IP: [<ffffffff8115351a>]
anon_vma_interval_tree_remove+0x2a/0x250
[   16.739329] PGD 0
[   16.739341] Oops: 0000 [#1] SMP

..followed by lots of other stuff, ending with :

[   16.741257] Fixing recursive fault but reboot is needed!

..although I'm positive that I didn't see that last line on the screen at
any stage.

Does that lot mean anything to anyone?