[Nottingham] BT internet

Martin martin at ml1.co.uk
Wed Sep 4 11:32:03 UTC 2013

On 04/09/13 12:14, T.J long thing wrote:
> ‎Thank's martin,
>  Just a slow or non existent connection  modem reboot failed tracert to
> 8.8.8.8 get's results of 100 + ms after leaving the building. I guess it
> could be bad wires from BT but inside works fine.

Can you access your modem status page to see what signal level and
signal/noise ratio you have?

Flood-ping a known friendly IP address to check for data rate and packet
loss?

> I agree BT's marketing on old tech is hilarious and we've had more
> problems with them than people I know have with virgin

I've had very good results from VirginMedia for various sites for both
fibre (FTTP) and cable. Their one hiccup has been for their "superhubs"
being hopelessly too easily overwhelmed with too many connections for
the superhub NAT table or for just running out of memory for the
connections. That is easily fixed for the loss of the integral WiFi by
switching to "modem mode". You then use your own much more capable
router/firewall. (Or use subnets mode with the superhub firewalling
turned off if on a business link.)

VirginMedia can boast reliable speeds that are far greater than BT...

Good luck,
Martin

All just my own personal experience...

--
-    Martin Lomas    - OpenPGP (GPG/PGP) Public Key: 0xCEE1D3B7