[Nottingham] Email server hosting?

Mike Cardwell nlug at lists.grepular.com
Mon Sep 16 15:22:14 UTC 2013

* on the Mon, Sep 16, 2013 at 03:45:03PM +0100, Martin wrote:

>> Until then I'm using a Hurricane Electric tunnel.
>
> Do you know if that is completely "fee-of-cost"? What do HE gain from
> that apart from lost bandwidth?

It is completely free yes. I've been using them since May 2010 without
issue and without cost. I have a friend who used to work there. I don't
know their business model so couldn't tell you how this works for them.

One thing that is very relevant and which I've only just remembered...
I set up a second tunnel earlier this year, and found that port 25 was
blocked. Apparently they had a lot of abuse. However, all you need to
do is contact them and "justify" why you want it opening for your
usage. In my particular case, I just mentioned that I'd already had a
tunnel with them for several years to be used for email purposes and
that it hadn't caused any abuse problems. I don't know how difficult
it would be to get it opened if you're a new user, but I suspect it's
worth a try.

As well as the tunnel which goes to my VPS, I also have a tunnel which
goes directly to my Linux based router at home. They route a /64 down
it. I use a piece of software called RadVD on the router which lets all
of the other machines on my LAN know how to use IPv6.

I will be moving house very soon and when I do, I'm planning on signing
up with http://aa.net.uk/broadband-home1-info.html - They're a
residential ISP who provide static IPv4, *and* a native /64 of IPv6
space direct to your home.

At the moment, if you look at my MX records for grepular.com:

10 hype.glue.grepular.com.
20 hype.flan.grepular.com.
30 ipv6.glue.grepular.com.
40 flan.grepular.com.

Ignore the priority 10 and priority 20 records, as 99.99999% of the
Internet is unable to talk to these hosts. If a mail server supports
IPv6, they will hit ipv6.glue.grepular.com, which is the Hurricane
Electric tunnel end-point of the mail server in my living room. So those
hosts deliver mail directly to my house. The priority 40 MX record picks
up everything else, and is simply a smarthost (my Digital Ocean VPS)
which forwards mail down a VPN to that mail server in my living room.

Of course, when I've signed up to A&A, I'll of my incoming email will
come in directly to my home mail server without the tunnel and without
the smarthost. I prefer to have my mail living on trusted hardware in
my living room than on a series of disks at Google. ;)

--
Mike Cardwell  https://grepular.com/     http://cardwellit.com/
OpenPGP Key    35BC AF1D 3AA2 1F84 3DC3  B0CF 70A5 F512 0018 461F