[Nottingham] Anyone tried/using: "Cloud" NAS boxes...

Duncan notlug at pendinas.org.uk
Fri Aug 1 17:52:30 UTC 2014

On 01/08/14 09:23, Jason Irwin wrote:
> On 01/08/14 01:49, Duncan wrote:
>> There's an unofficial HP bios update for these boxes (I might still
>> have it floating around somewhere) which enables full speed on the
>> CD-ROM bay interface to make it 5 disks.
> Now that is sexy.
>
>> Mine has 16GB RAM,  1 SSD boot disk (in the CD-drive bay)
>> + 2x1TB + 2x1.5TB. It also runs quiet and uses ~40W.
> Yeah, they're not RasPi low-energy, but they're bloody good.
>
> I thought the upper limit was 8GB? Does the BIOS update raise it to 16GB?

No, I upgraded to 16GB before I updated the BIOS.
>From what I read at the time the machines can already do 16GB but
some 2x8GB sticks work and some don't. I went through the reports
and picked a make and model that were reported as working and on
special offer and hey presto it did.

I'm using mine for backups, development VMs and DB and as a file/media
server and it seems to be happy with it all (although typically
usage pattern means there is minimal contention between the different
uses).

> I boobed and bought the wrong discs (low-energy "green") for my RAID1.
> Not gone wrong yet, but live and learn.

Mine are the left overs from the dead NAS boxes and my desktop when I
changed it to an SSD.

> Have to keep an eye-out for the cash-back offer appearing again.

Be aware there are older versions of the modified BIOS which disables
the onboard NIC.  The version I have gives the 5th usable disk slot
and leaves the onboard NIC working.   It was also meant to enable
wake-on-LAN but I've not confirmed that yet.  I'll dig out the details
later when I can get to them.

Have fun,
Duncan.