[Nottingham] Someone doesn't like systemd

Martin martin at ml1.co.uk
Thu Aug 21 11:13:59 UTC 2014

On 13/08/14 18:40, Jason Irwin wrote:
> https://lkml.org/lkml/2014/8/12/459
>
> Reddit comments:
> http://www.reddit.com/r/linux/comments/2dfig1/open_letter_to_the_linux_world/
>
> As for myself...I like some of the ideas that systemd is trying to bring
> in, but some things give me the shivers (binary logs? Really?) and the
> inherent complexity of the system that is trying to *start* the damned PC.
>
> Maybe some of that is my own ignorance and fear of change, dunno. But if
> what the poster says is true, then the ability to tweak and warp a
> GNU/Linux distro /just so/ for some application looks like it will be
> seriously stunted.
>
> Thoughts?

Good thread on this list thanks and fair comment from Andy. Thanks for
the Andy summary!

There's a very succinct blast on the LinuxVoice forums:

http://forums.linuxvoice.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=74

The killer for me that undoes all the goodness is the disaster waiting
to happen of vast rapidly changing code all running as PID 1. Even
stranger is for *why do that* when completely unnecessary?!

And if there is some fundamental need or missing feature that absolutely
must have PID 1, then why not improve the kernel to fulfil that whatever
assumed deficiency?

Or are there other non-technical non-FLOSS motivations?...

Or is there just crass over-hasty blindly compromising rush?...

Did not a certain commercial and very proprietary single-user styled
system force that type of thing upon a lot of the world with ongoing
very painfully unreliable results that has blackened the name of IT
forever?... People now /expect/ computers to crash...

The modular and secure Unix philosophy has worked very well for Linux
systems thus far. Why abandon that now?...

Assimilate?...

Something like systemd is needed. However, who else is there to be able
to race beyond Red Hat?

Here using OpenRC 'init' on Gentoo

--
-    Martin Lomas    - OpenPGP (GPG/PGP) Public Key: 0xCEE1D3B7