[Nottingham] SSD firmware upgrade

Martin martin at ml1.co.uk
Tue Dec 2 22:43:06 UTC 2014

On 02/12/14 19:55, Jason Irwin wrote:
> I have never done one of these. I have never needed to, spinning rust is
> just far too dumb!
>
> My SSD is a Samsung EVOs and they have an upgrade out to deal with
> performance degradation.
>
> Beyond the usual caveats of "Back-up, back-up, back-up!" is there
> anything I need to worry about?
> I already know to use the server version of their "Magician" disc
> software to create the correct style of boot disc from their [broken] ISO.
>
> This SSD was serious wedge to me, so I am understandably twitchy about
> bricking it!

Now that's something I've so far never been moved to do...

Same caveats as for BIOS updates:

Do you really need to do it?

Follow all instructions exactly;

Use a UPS just in case of that 1-in-million power glitch that happens to
be guaranteed at just the most inopportune time...

Report back the results and if any difference noticed.

And good luck.

:-)

-    Martin Lomas    - OpenPGP (GPG/PGP) Public Key: 0xCEE1D3B7
- martin @ ml1 co uk - Import from   hkp://subkeys.pgp.net   or
- ------------------ - http:// ml1 .co .uk/martin_ml1_co_uk.gpg