[Nottingham] SSD upgrade

Jason Irwin jasonirwin73 at gmail.com
Tue Feb 11 09:48:18 UTC 2014

On 10/02/14 20:43, Martin wrote:
> Actually... NNNNooooooooo! That is far too long a read and out of date
> for present day usage...
Actually, that's a bit of an issue. A lot of the guides are really old
and I am not sure I can trust 'em.
There was one which insisted that an SSD must be aligned to the
cylinders...which struck me as being wrong.

> Having the alignment set too pessimistic can't hurt for the sake of
> 16MiB out of many GBytes.
Yeah, and the Kubuntu installer uses that crap making it hard to be sure
if one is picking an SSD-friendly value; prompting me to switch to GParted.

I got an email back from Samsung, they don't know the size of the erase
blocks.
FFS. That is a joke.

J.