[Nottingham] SSD upgrade

Duncan notlug at pendinas.org.uk
Tue Feb 11 12:32:32 UTC 2014

On 11/02/14 09:47, Jason Irwin wrote:
> On 10/02/14 20:43, Martin wrote:
>> Actually... NNNNooooooooo! That is far too long a read and out of date
>> for present day usage...
> Actually, that's a bit of an issue. A lot of the guides are really old
> and I am not sure I can trust 'em.
> There was one which insisted that an SSD must be aligned to the
> cylinders...which struck me as being wrong.
>
>> Having the alignment set too pessimistic can't hurt for the sake of
>> 16MiB out of many GBytes.
> Yeah, and the Kubuntu installer uses that crap making it hard to be sure
> if one is picking an SSD-friendly value; prompting me to switch to GParted.
>
> I got an email back from Samsung, they don't know the size of the erase
> blocks.
> FFS. That is a joke.

Assuming the list allows through attachments...
I've attached the perl script I use to work out partition alignments
and spit out the "parted" commands needed to create them.
I've added lots of comments to try and help but shout if they don't.

For my 840 pro I started my partitions at 16MiB and assumed an erasure
block size of 256KiB.  I cannot remember if I plucked 256KiB off
a random web page or out of the air.

HTH

Have fun,
Duncan