[Nottingham] NHS care.data ('Anonymized' data really isn't - and here's why not)

Martin martin at ml1.co.uk
Wed Feb 19 16:01:05 UTC 2014

>> MP makes formal complaint to ICO over care.data patient records
>> "grab"
>> http://www.computing.co.uk/ctg/news/2327035/mp-makes-formal-complaint-to-ico-over-caredata-patient-records-grab

And it has been delayed by six months:
> http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-26239532
>
> I wonder what the cost of the initial "information" drop was? And
> now it will need to be done again. Do it right the first time -
> it's cheaper in the long run.

The extra cost of what I see as trying to "sneak this through" is
likely to be A LOT. What's betting the IT contractor (ATOS I believe)
will be getting paid for being idle for 6 months?

Some telling snippets from that BBC news article:

#####
To date information has been available about what happens in
hospitals, but not what goes on in GP surgeries.

The information made available on the database will be stripped of
identifiable data - although it will include the gender, age band and
area a patient lives in.

However, concerns have been raised about the prospect of keeping all
the information in one place, with campaigners saying that it could
lead to privacy problems and data breaches.

There is a proposal - to be discussed next month and backed by NHS
England - which could give non-NHS bodies, including private firms,
the right to ask for access to the data.
#####

So... "will include the gender, age band and area a patient lives in"...

I guess that is quite easy then for various Marketing groups to
re-identify such records...

And we are to all be opted in by default...!?

(Obviously, I've opted out. I get enough telesales calls as it is!!)

Ouch!
Martin

- --
- -    Martin Lomas    - OpenPGP (GPG/PGP) Public Key: 0xCEE1D3B7
- - martin @ ml1 co uk - Import from   hkp://subkeys.pgp.net   or
- - ------------------ - http:// ml1 .co .uk/martin_ml1_co_uk.gpg