[Nottingham] Many router reported to have port 32674 open

Jason Irwin jasonirwin73 at gmail.com
Wed Jan 8 14:36:09 UTC 2014

On 8 January 2014 09:09, Rory Holland <me at rory.sh> wrote:

> In general, I'd agree with silently pushing firmware updates to consumer
> routers - it's highly unlikely most router owners would think to check for
> an update, and would go unaware of any unpatched security issues.

To a very large extent I agree with you. We can't all be experts in
everything and not everyone likes IT; Windows Updates is another example.
Where I have a slight issue is this not being documented and at least W.U.
is documented, so those of us who want to can turn the thing off (well, I
set mine to tell me; starting an overnight test run only to have the server
reboot is somewhat irksome to say the least).

>From further reading it seems this port is only open LAN side and not WAN.
So it may be an entry point to try and recover a bricked device, some
hold-over from testing or simple cock-up which got copied from
device-to-device.

On 8 January 2014 09:33, Peter Stokes <peter at ashlyn.co.uk> wrote:
> Have to say, have used Draytek for many years now and can only recommend
them, and no they do not have the port open.
I've found the more consumer-grade Buffalo unit I bought to be really good.
Shame how the ethernet ports have been done, but not an enormous deal to
me. Stable and highly functional with decent aerials, but DD-WRT does seem
to have a few rough edges (e.g. it can't show its own firewall logs nor
does it support HTTPS for Dynamic DNS).

J.