[Nottingham] Website (Thursday 16/01/2014: A Cross to Laguna)

David Aldred davidaldred at gmail.com
Wed Jan 15 08:39:05 UTC 2014

On 14 January 2014 13:23, Martin <martin at ml1.co.uk> wrote:

> On 14/01/14 09:22, David Aldred wrote:
> > On 13 January 2014 23:36, Martin wrote:
> >
> >     On 13/01/14 22:47, David Aldred wrote:
> > You can check colour contrast automatically using the WebAim checker
> > <http://webaim.org/resources/contrastchecker/>.  (I've just done so and
> > it doesn't like the blue on green, as I rather suspected!)
>
> Trying:
>
> http://wave.webaim.org/report#/nottingham.lug.org.uk
>
> lists various unsurprising complaints about the structure for the first
> page of our site. No complaints about contrast?

I've just tried the same thing and it flagged 12 contrast errors, but
strangely not the links on green on the right.  However if I use the
contrast checker directly, with the green background colour being #448844
and the blue foreground for the link being #191975, it fails for every
category except large text - and large text is 18pt or over.  Those links
aren't that big!

> >     Atahualpa is very definitely not a mobile responsive theme. However,
> it
> >     is kindly enough to render nicely on my old mobile. You do then need
> >     zoom and scroll around to view and navigate.
> >
> >     An alternate mobile-friendly theme can be tried... Is there anything
> >     that would fit with the sort of thing we have at present? The main
> >     headache is for holding onto the calendar...
> >

> > There's a fairly flexible Wordpress responsive theme called (logically
> > enough) Responsive <http://wordpress.org/themes/responsive>, which could
> > be a place to start!   I don't know what calendar control/plugin you're
> > using, though.
> >
> > In fact, if you go
> > to http://wordpress.org/themes/search.php?q=responsive you'll be
> > presented with a whole list of themes containing the word 'responsive'
> > in their descriptions - there musty be something suitable there!
>
> OK, so that's new and good.
>
> We're using "Modern Tribe" for the calendar, being as they were one of
> the first to put together a good calender app from long ago.

The post at
https://tri.be/faqs/can-the-calendar-dynamically-fit-the-width-of-a-page/
suggests
that the modern tribe calendar is responsive-ish!

(I'd offer to help ore practically but I've got two rather tricky sites of
my own to try to migrate to a new Wordpress theme while also adding
membership area functionality, in one case with paid logins; not
straighforward!).