[Nottingham] “Anonymized” data really isn’t — and here’s why not

Martin martin at ml1.co.uk
Sun Jan 19 21:28:25 UTC 2014

>>> “Anonymized” data really isn’t—and here’s why not
>>> http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2009/09/your-secrets-live-online-in-databases-of-ruin/

A recent post by Cambridge U's security research group:
> http://www.lightbluetouchpaper.org/2013/11/22/your-medical-records-%e2%80%93-now-on-sale/
>

> All of their posts on medical privacy:
> http://www.lightbluetouchpaper.org/?s=medical
>
> And a site by a GP who wants to better inform the public
> care.data: http://www.care-data.info/

Thanks for those.

http://www.care-data.info/ doesn't win any prizes for web page design
but at least it looks to be more informative than the unaddressed NHS
pamphlet being put through people's doors.

My personal selection from surfing around the web is:

I don't know for anyone else but I found the NHS leaflet delivered to
my door to be hopelessly vague and fuzzy. Something that I can
understand better is given on:

http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~rja14/Papers/caredata_trifold.pdf

That's a link from:

Opting out of the latest NHS data grab
http://www.lightbluetouchpaper.org/2014/01/08/opting-out-of-the-latest-nhs-data-grab/

Other links that I found to be of note:

Nature | Editorial: Power to the people
A planned database collating medical information...
http://www.nature.com/news/power-to-the-people-1.14505

Concerns Heightened About Opt-Out Central Database For UK Patients'
Health Data
http://www.infosecurity-magazine.com/view/36370/concerns-heightened-about-optout-central-database-for-uk-patients-health-data/

The Independent     Sunday 19 January 2014
Letters: Do you trust the NHS with your data?
http://www.independent.co.uk/voices/letters/letters-do-you-trust-the-nhs-with-your-data-9059471.html

For a lot of dry detail, see:

BMA: Care.data guidance for GPs
http://bma.org.uk/practical-support-at-work/ethics/confidentiality-and-health-records/care-data

Likely most informative is to read through:
http://bma.org.uk/-/media/Files/PDFs/Practical%20advice%20at%20work/Ethics/Care%20data/caredataguideforgpsfaqs.pdf

And another information scrape/snoop route to bear in mind:

Canada says Google broke law by snooping health info to serve ads
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2014/01/16/canada_says_google_ads_violated_privacy/

For the "opted-in-by-default" care.data scheme: Does that not conflict
with 'whatever' 'confidentiality' our GPs must keep and for their
Hippocratic oath of "Do no harm"?

Please check for yourselves.

- --
- -    Martin Lomas    - OpenPGP (GPG/PGP) Public Key: 0xCEE1D3B7
- - martin @ ml1 co uk - Import from   hkp://subkeys.pgp.net   or
- - ------------------ - http:// ml1 .co .uk/martin_ml1_co_uk.gpg