[Nottingham] LibreOffice cloud?

Duncan notlug at pendinas.org.uk
Mon Jan 20 23:19:15 UTC 2014

On 2014-01-20 18:57, Martin wrote:
> On 20/01/14 11:37, Martin wrote:
>> Folks,
>>
>> Is there a 'cloud' solution for using LibreOffice? (That is, interact
>> remotely with LibreOffice itself running on a server.)

What are you trying to achieve and what libreoffice features are you after ?
Eg:
Are you trying to force the files created onto the server  ?
Would something like tinymce be enough ?
>> Or even, what FLOSS alternatives might there be instead of
>> "Microsoft Office 365"?
>>

>> As part of that quest... I've given a couple of web browser 'VNC's a try
>> and they seem rather slow even for a fast internet link. Is a remote
>> desktop the only way to go?
>
> For a sneaky bit of connectivity...
>
> Anyone with comments for what to watch out for if using Apache Tomcat?

I set up  archiva, jenkins and some other war using tomcat for the servlet
side recently.
> Good, bad, or use caution? (Web exposed Java!)

By far the biggest problem I had, long before I got to security, was the pitiful
documentation.   Shout if you have any specific problems.  I've probably
banged my head against them too.

IMNSHO the java security model now integrated into tomcat 1.7+ is a big pile of
steaming doggy doo doo - and a poorly documented pile of doggy doo doo at that.
>From what I can tell, it is based on you, the admin, knowing what classes the
developer used and what they did with them.

Have fun,
Duncan