[Nottingham] LibreOffice cloud?

Martin martin at ml1.co.uk
Mon Jan 20 23:52:19 UTC 2014

On 20/01/14 23:19, Duncan wrote:
> On 2014-01-20 18:57, Martin wrote:
>> On 20/01/14 11:37, Martin wrote:
>>> Folks,
>>>
>>> Is there a 'cloud' solution for using LibreOffice? (That is, interact
>>> remotely with LibreOffice itself running on a server.)
>
> What are you trying to achieve and what libreoffice features are you after ?
> Eg:
> Are you trying to force the files created onto the server  ?
Yes.

> Would something like tinymce be enough ?
I've already got that via WordPress or via the collaborative text editor
that comes with OwnCloud. However...

I'm seeing if there is already enough FLOSS to bolt together to allow me
to work away from home and to share work with people that are more used
to using Microsoft.

Looking at OwnCloud, we're most of the way there but the document
editing is rather too minimal.

And then there is LibreOffice... 'If only' that can be
integrated/subsumed or whatever, then we could have a cloud-beater!

At least what is needed is something that allows editing/annotating
MS-Word docs. May contain tables and diagrams and jpgs...

>>> Or even, what FLOSS alternatives might there be instead of
>>> "Microsoft Office 365"?
>>>

>>> As part of that quest... I've given a couple of web browser 'VNC's a try
>>> and they seem rather slow even for a fast internet link. Is a remote
>>> desktop the only way to go?
>>
>> For a sneaky bit of connectivity...
>>
>> Anyone with comments for what to watch out for if using Apache Tomcat?
>
> I set up  archiva, jenkins and some other war using tomcat for the servlet
> side recently.
>> Good, bad, or use caution? (Web exposed Java!)
>
> By far the biggest problem I had, long before I got to security, was the pitiful
> documentation.   Shout if you have any specific problems.  I've probably
> banged my head against them too.
>
> IMNSHO the java security model now integrated into tomcat 1.7+ is a big pile of
> steaming doggy doo doo - and a poorly documented pile of doggy doo doo at that.
> From what I can tell, it is based on you, the admin, knowing what classes the
> developer used and what they did with them.

Oooooooer... I was afraid that might be the case. I was looking at
Guacamole as a sneaky web browser to VNC/RDP/SSH interface so that I
could stay all-web-browser cloudy.

Hey-ho! Looks like I'll have to fire up a VNC system...

Shame to have have the neatness of web-browser access to OwnCloud having
to be sullied by VNC onto the same server just for the sake of MS-Word
docs checking/editing... :-/

The LibreOffice would suit that very well, with OwnCloud then cloudily
sharing the results.

> Have fun,
> Duncan

Thanks, this is turning into quite an adventure of cloudy pieces :-P

(Hope your baby far above the clouds is doing well! :-) )

Guacamole
HTML5 Clientless Remote Desktop

http://guac-dev.org/

(The HTML5 bit looks really neat! Shame about the tomcat/java dependency
and security :-( )

--
-    Martin Lomas    - OpenPGP (GPG/PGP) Public Key: 0xCEE1D3B7