[Nottingham] LibreOffice cloud?

Martin martin at ml1.co.uk
Tue Jan 21 00:04:19 UTC 2014

On 20/01/14 23:05, Jason Irwin wrote:
> On 20/01/14 20:56, Martin wrote:
>> Or... Why not just go remote-desktop or VNC in the first place and
>> offer all the apps that Linux has to offer from a desktop...?
> Many virtual systems will happily stream full desktops over VNC/RDP
> to clients. Then you have NoMachine
> https://www.nomachine.com/download And x2go
> http://wiki.x2go.org/doku.php There's also options/hacks so you only
> stream the content from the one application that you are interested
> in.
Yae, now that bit sounds interesting for only showing LibreOffice and
not wasting screen estate and bandwidth on a fancy desktop...

Will take a look at x2go, thanks.

> Ages ago I did dick around with freenx (now dead, think x2go replaces
> it) and it was "Ok-ish" but not as slick as RDP/Terminal Server. But
> now that I have a GNU/Linux desktop, laptop, server and the mighty,
> mighty SSH (with screen/tmux) I find I need RDP/VNC less and less.
> Heck, even virt-manager will happily squirt a full desktop to me from
> QEMU/KVM.
Any pros/cons to RDP vs VNC? Is RDP serving a Windows-only thing? We
seem to be VNC only in the Linux world.

>> This cloudiness does look to be a little cloudy... Meanwhile,
>> certain commercial companies are 'betting their ranch' on
>> integrating everything into the cloud to suck their customers in
>> on the updraught...
> The only difference I can see between "the cloud" and
> mainframes/minis of old are the hardware "the cloud" runs on and
> (perhaps) slicker tooling for shuttling the work around. All the
> other problems appear to be about the same. Heck, wasn't X meant to
> be network transparent? Now it seems that HTML and JQuery want to
> lift that crown.
Very much so.

For myself with now a very old Linux netbook, "ssh -C" with X-forwarding
has been a very well used tool. Especially so whilst mobile.

Now with these graphics pads thingies and the high expectations from
everyone of going cloudy, trying to get a Windows user to contemplate
"ssh" is like trying to describe the reality of unicorns...

Also, when showing off results, there is just this overall 'expectation'
that a web-browser + cloud is going to be used. The old
tools of sftp, scp, and ssh often cause people to look aghast as though
you might be tickling some dinosaur!...

Hence, a customised OwnCloud is good for doing wonders if only for the
sake of 'image'. And in this latest generation of clickiness, it is
actually easier for some things...

-    Martin Lomas    - OpenPGP (GPG/PGP) Public Key: 0xCEE1D3B7
- martin @ ml1 co uk - Import from   hkp://subkeys.pgp.net   or
- ------------------ - http:// ml1 .co .uk/martin_ml1_co_uk.gpg