[Nottingham] NFS - Sudden loss of files

Martin martin at ml1.co.uk
Wed Mar 26 22:44:03 UTC 2014

On 26/03/14 21:46, Jason Irwin wrote:
> So I had a mild case of panic just now. I have a folder mounted via NFS
> that has a few hundred pictures in it.
>
> I was selecting some for upload and then...poof...about 75% vanished
> from within Dolphin. I checked the local mount, gone there too. Cold
> sweat. (I do have back-ups).
>
> SSH'd into the server, and there the files are. All of them. WTF?
>
> Anyone any idea why heaps of files would just stop being visible within
> an NFS share?
>
> Permission etc are all unchanged (I checked).

Really a problem with NFS? Or more a possible problem with caching?...

Dolphin appears to cache its view of things and will not show any
changes made by other utilities to your filesystem until you force it to
refresh its view. Or wait for some indeterminate time/event.

The only NFS foibles I can guess for is that you could suffer stale
filesystem handles, but then you usually need to do a remount for such
cases.

Can you find a sequence that replicates the confusion?

Include beer? ;-)

-    Martin Lomas    - OpenPGP (GPG/PGP) Public Key: 0xCEE1D3B7
- martin @ ml1 co uk - Import from   hkp://subkeys.pgp.net   or
- ------------------ - http:// ml1 .co .uk/martin_ml1_co_uk.gpg