[Nottingham] NFS - Sudden loss of files

Jason Irwin jasonirwin73 at gmail.com
Wed Mar 26 23:03:03 UTC 2014

On 26 March 2014 22:43, Martin <martin at ml1.co.uk> wrote:

> Really a problem with NFS? Or more a possible problem with caching?...

It's possible I guess. The images vanished from Dolphin and from Gwenview.
They were also gone from the CLI though.

Dolphin appears to cache its view of things and will not show any
> changes made by other utilities to your filesystem until you force it to
> refresh its view. Or wait for some indeterminate time/event.

That's the thing, there were no changes. I was just browsing.

> The only NFS foibles I can guess for is that you could suffer stale
> filesystem handles, but then you usually need to do a remount for such
> cases.

And a remount fixed the problem.

> Can you find a sequence that replicates the confusion?

I suspect it's the number of files in the directory, which would seem to
indicate some kind of cache issue I guess.

I shall retest on the morrow, but right now a dog needs walked.

J.