[Nottingham] The first Microsoft "Patch Tuesday" where WinXP is left ragged...

Peter Stokes peter at ashlyn.co.uk
Mon May 12 11:46:18 UTC 2014

Hi Martin

> (And why is such an old system so very widely used still from so long
> ago?...)

Nowadays for desktop I use Apple, with which I am very happy for everything I need to do. Sadly I have a couple of old Windows apps I have to keep using (accounts and a database package mainly), but also occasionally I have to use a specific VPN package for a customer and only supported on Windows. So I use Virtualbox and XP to solve this. It works, is fast and relatively small and I bought a license for it. I can see no reason why I should upgrade as later versions give me no benefit, just bloat and slower response. I have not run an antiv, but there again do not use it for mail or browsing etc, so unlikely to have any issues, and to my knowledge after 2 years there have not been any.

Peter