[Nottingham] Printing problem

Alistair Lane alistairlane at talktalk.net
Thu May 29 20:25:11 UTC 2014

-----Original Message-----

On 29/05/14 17:26, Alistair Lane wrote:
> I have just installed a new HP printer on my system because the old
> Epson had stopped printing with yellow.
> Now it seems that the problem is not the printer since the new printer,
> an HP, is doing exactly the same, and
> the old printer is working fine (including yellow) on my daughter's
> computer.

Oddly enough, my HP keeps moaning that the yellow cartridge is jiggered.
It isn't (although I do need to fix some external reservoir plumbing).

Which Epson/HP printers?
What's different between your daughter's PC and yours (OS, drivers etc)?
Did you install the latest HPLIP from HP, or did you use what was in the
repository?
Can the printer do a self-test and does that work OK?

HPLIP does have a "Gamma" setting (this might be a CUPS thing) and mine
is sat at "1000". Other than that, I don't see any obvious colour settings.

Are you using the same cable? Maybe it has a broken wire?

The HP is a C3100 and the Epson a C66.
I'm running Ubuntu 12 04 and my daughter is on Fedora.
I believe the HPLIP is the latest.
I haven't done any test other than the Ubuntu one since all the tests in the user manual
refer to the Windows disk.
As to accessing HPLIP settings I have no idea where to start.
I will try try borrowing my daughter's USB cable tomorrow to see if that makes any difference.

Many thanks
Alistair