[Nottingham] Oodles of poodles make your noodle go cock-a-doodle

Mike Cardwell nlug at lists.grepular.com
Wed Oct 15 10:02:06 UTC 2014

* on the Wed, Oct 15, 2014 at 10:39:15AM +0100, Jason Irwin wrote:

>> When the server responds with its Server Hello as SSLV3, then the
>> client will then think the server is only capable of it, and will also
>> downgrade to match.
> Unless your browser has been told to not support SSLv3 (standard in FF
> these days, I think IE still uses it by default).

Firefox still has SSLv3 turned on by default. You can turn it off right
now by visiting about:config and setting "security.tls.version.min" to "1"
rather than the default which is "0"

>> This has been known about forever, it's part of the protocol, and
>> required for backwards compatibility, but the requirement of a man in
>> the middle means it's still pretty unlikely.
> Unless a new-and-improved FireSheep does the rounds. Sit in a
> cafe...sniffy-sniffy, cracky-cracky.

The downgrade part isn't the new vulnerability that is being discussed.
It is just a way of forcing people onto SSLv3 so that Poodle can then
be leveraged to read the plain text.

> They do state it's not on the same level as Heartbleed/Shellshock and
> it's trivial for an end-user to protect themselves.
> If they know that they need to....

Those are bugs in software. POODLE is a protocol level bug. A more
suitable comparison would be the BEAST attack. POODLE is just as
bad as BEAST was, except it's easier to pull off.

--
Mike Cardwell  https://grepular.com https://emailprivacytester.com
OpenPGP Key    35BC AF1D 3AA2 1F84 3DC3   B0CF 70A5 F512 0018 461F