[Nottingham] Oodles of poodles make your noodle go cock-a-doodle

Mike Cardwell nlug at lists.grepular.com
Wed Oct 15 09:50:52 UTC 2014

* on the Wed, Oct 15, 2014 at 10:29:29AM +0100, Michael Simms wrote:

> To be honest, this is pretty much a non-event in terms of an attack.

I think you're understating the problem. If I'm a MITM on your network
and you login to for example https://www.gmail.com/, and then you visit
http://unrelated.unencrypted.website.example.com/ using the same
browser, I can use that unencrypted request as a side channel, and
inject some code into the response which will steal your session cookie
from the encrypted site, giving me access to your GMail account.
Replace "GMail" with "any HTTPS site" if you like, e.g. your banks.

This relies on both the browser and the server having support for
SSLv3.

People running web servers can fix this problem by disabling SSLv3. A
side effect of doing that is that IE6 can no longer talk to your web
server. But anyone running IE6 on the open Internet nowadays is already
compromised and you should not want their traffic anyway.

The next version of Firefox is disabling SSLv3, and Chrome will also be
disabling it in a few weeks time as well.

Mike