[Nottingham] Nottingham Perl Mongers - an invitation!

Martin martin at ml1.co.uk
Wed Oct 22 18:28:06 UTC 2014

James,

On 22/10/14 17:30, James Green wrote:
> Hi Martin, glad to hear you're hoping to join us :-)
>
> On 22 October 2014 16:56, Martin wrote:
>
>     James,
>
>     Sounds good. Hope to wander along, thanks...
>
>     You got it posted up on a web page somewhere? (Before I go DDG-quack
>     Antenna! ;-) )
>

> There are a few more event details at http://nottingham.pm.org/ but we
> also have an event page on Lanyrd, with a venue map:
>
>     http://lanyrd.com/2014/nottingham-perl-mongers-technical-talk-evening/

Should find you there...

> I'm kind of hoping to have another venue nearer the train station /
> Broadmarsh area for next time around, but we'll see how that goes :)

Fellows Moreton & Clayton and the Canalhouse are both good friendly
venues. Just watch out for the sports nights and pub quizzes and other
groups!

We moved up to the Falcon at Canning Circus for a quieter venue with
good beer ;-)

Going a little off-topic:

>     Also: Anyone exploring Python and/or the 'new' HOPE?
>

> Not sure which HOPE you mean -- I found a fairly rudimentary functional
> language from the 70s, but I'm not sure that's it.... ;)

Nope... (OK... Bad pun! :-) )

https://github.com/cosmo-ethz/hope

and another interesting one for gaining a speedup could be:
http://nuitka.net/pages/overview.html
... translates the Python into a C++ program that then uses "libpython"
to execute...

There's also PyPy that could be worth a look... But that's digressing :-)

OK... Anyone game to give a languages talk?! ;-)

-    Martin Lomas    - OpenPGP (GPG/PGP) Public Key: 0xCEE1D3B7
- martin @ ml1 co uk - Import from   hkp://subkeys.pgp.net   or
- ------------------ - http:// ml1 .co .uk/martin_ml1_co_uk.gpg