[Nottingham] Problem installing Linux on Acer Aspire E15

Barry Drake ubuntu-advertising at gmx.com
Sat Mar 14 11:15:56 UTC 2015

On 13/03/15 13:42, Godfrey Nix wrote:
> OK, so I have taken the plunge and selected the install option "wipe entire
> disk and reformat".>
> Woo, hoo!! I have Ubuntu  14.04 LTS  running.

Good for you Godfrey!  To defenestrate Windows is always the better way.
  I should mention one current problem that your daughter will probably
encounter in due course.  Current versions of Ubuntu (all breeds) have a
problem in the Wine package.  Wine will not open Microsoft .msi files.
This is a bug, which has been reported and fixed.  It may take a while
for the fixed package to appear - especially as a backport.  This is why
I'm currently running Mint.  I'm not sure, but I think the problem began
with 14.04?

Regards,        Barry.

--
http://barrydrake.co.nr/