[Nottingham] Anyone got 50p?

Martin martin at ml1.co.uk
Sat Mar 21 16:44:32 UTC 2015

On 20/03/15 10:36, Martin wrote:
> On 20/03/15 09:55, Paul Sladen wrote:
>> On Fri, 20 Mar 2015, Jason Irwin wrote:
>>> I think the sun needs a few coins popped into it.
>>> Looks like the meter is running out :-)
>>
>> Just a brown out... nearly fixed now.
>
> That supposedly cost something like an extra 80 power stations coming
> online across Europe to pick up the solar shortfall.
>
> Looking on http://www.gridwatch.templar.co.uk/ for the UK there looks to
> be about a 2GW bump for coal and gas and a 1.5GW bump for pumped storage
> hydro... (Small display scale makes for awkward reading...)
>
> Have we really got that much solar already in the UK?!

Interesting numbers in this rather overly sensationalist BBC news snippet:

Solar eclipse poses energy challenge
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-31951768

#####
The UK has 5GW of solar, the equivalent to the power output from about
eight to 10 gas fired power stations.

But while the amount of electricity generated from solar will fall
during eclipse, National Grid is not expecting any major impact.

"This loss of solar is entirely manageable," said a National Grid
spokesperson. "We have a range of tools in place to manage any effects
of the eclipse and balance the network."
#####

And... The grid suffers a bigger power fluctuation from people brewing
up during TV adverts!!

:-P

> Now then... Back to work you sun worshipping slackers!! ;-)

Shine on! :-)

-    Martin Lomas    - OpenPGP (GPG/PGP) Public Key: 0xCEE1D3B7
- martin @ ml1 co uk - Import from   hkp://subkeys.pgp.net   or
- ------------------ - http:// ml1 .co .uk/martin_ml1_co_uk.gpg