[Nottingham] Dealing with a router that does not support Port Forwarding

Jason Irwin jasonirwin73 at gmail.com
Thu May 7 08:03:49 UTC 2015

Yes indeed, I have come across such a beast. In theory it should be
possible (they have predefined ports for "World of Warcraft" etc) but it
does not work.

It's a Telefonica Movistar Homestation, OEM is ADB Broadband Italia. I
found the docs for both companies and the ADB ones say it does do it but
it's not available on the firmware Telefonica Movistar ship. I managed
to find an OEM hidden-page where I can get at the actual firmware (looks
like a stripped down DD-WRT to me) but a port-forward option is missing.

The router supports FTP, SSH, and Telnet; but no amount of name/password
guessing could get me in.

I was expecting many issues but this had me stumped on the last day.
This leaves me with a RasPi in a foreign country that I can't easily SSH
into because some ass-hat knobbled a basic feature of a router that even
the cheapest, nastiest things support out-of-the-box.

Is there any way for me to somehow get the RasPi to punch-out from the
remote LAN and give me SSH access?
Something about SSH reverse-proxy is rattling around the dusty corridors
of my mind, but I've never done such a thing.

I can do a screen share to a Windows box where I installed Cygwin, so I
can access the Pi that way to set things up.

--
║ Jason Irwin ║ OpenPGP (GPG/PGP) Public Key: 0xD0C592B1 ║