[Nottingham] Dealing with a router that does not support Port Forwarding

Paul reclusivegeek at yahoo.co.uk
Thu May 7 09:58:58 UTC 2015

The very quick answer is YES. Most SSH terminals allow you to set a port
and all Linux servers let you set the ports the SSH server runs on.

So pick a predefined port on your your that forwards TCP. For this
example I will use a Quake port 27950 (you can find the quake ports here
http://www.gameconfig.co.uk/ports.aspx?game=quake+3  if you interested.

First ssh to your Linux box and get root privileges (sudo bash)

next locate your distributions ssh server config (Debian its calld
sshd_config and is located in /etc/ssh)
Now you need to open the file in your text editor (nano, vi, emacs) and
find the line Port 22
and add directly under it the line Port 27950
save the file and restart the SSH server.

Now you server will accept SSH connections on either Port 22 or 27950

So yes you can do it on the firewall and using this method you could
even do it to multiple servers by just changing the port no on each.

Hope this helps

RG