[Nottingham] P3Scan

Chris Booth Chris.Booth at nottingham.ac.uk
Wed Nov 18 11:45:50 UTC 2015

Hello David,

[Chris Booth >>>]
Exim4 is an MTA for transporting mail from server to server, but it provides a lot of control over how you process the emails. You would still need a POP/IMAP daemon, such as Courier to actually deal with remote pop/imap email clients.

As it happens, todays Internet Storm Center diary at https://www.dshield.org/  features this script:  https://github.com/xme/mime2vt  to unpack MIME attachments and check them against virustotal.com  which sound more like what you are trying to do.

Other ideas, tell your friends to send to a web mail service that includes malware scanning (and 2-factor authentication) e.g. <cough> gmail </cough>, then you/they can download the email from there using Thunderbird, or, for a "belt-and-braces" approach to malware scanning download to your laptop using e.g. procmail, plus the above script.

[Chris Booth >>>]
Cheers,

Chris Booth

University of Nottingham.