[Nottingham] Linux turns 25 -- corporate contributors now key to its future

Jason Irwin jasonirwin73 at gmail.com
Sun Aug 28 22:01:30 UTC 2016

On 26 August 2016 at 18:59, Martin via Nottingham <
nottingham at mailman.lug.org.uk> wrote:

> Is the GPLv2 strong enough?...

It had better be, after the FSF's machinations there is no way Linux will
be moving to v3.
Even Bradley Kuhn was annoyed with the backroom strong-arming that was
attempted (and said as much in an episode of FAIF).

As it stands though, I don't think the license really matters. LT and GKH
seems to be pursuing a BSD-style "do not sue, work with; slowly, slowly
catchy monkey" policy. And I think it's working by-and-large. Although
anyone developer could press the big red button (as with EMC in Germany,
the case is apparently going to appeal).

The bigger question for me is, what will Fuchsia bring? It's more
MIT/BSD-based. Will corporates jump-ship to that so they never need to give
back, or will they realise that cooperation is actually the way forward?

J.