[Nottingham] Linux turns 25 -- corporate contributors now key to its future

Neal Ponton neal at tutamail.com
Sun Aug 28 23:56:36 UTC 2016

I read about 'Clear Linux' in Linux Voice yesterday. When you mentioned licensing it reminded me that Intel were making a distro and I was thinking "hmm, dunno if Intel would be happy going with the GPL? Companies that have something of a monopoly in their field (such as Intel) make me feel a bit more suspicious about them having links to government data gathering organisations.
Pure suspicion/unhealthy paranoia, like. I bet the NSA/GCHQ could easily pop into my Ubuntu server if they wanted to spend the time and resources finding an exploit in my cryptocurrency node or something I haven't updated.
Anyway, I had to go to the very bottom of the Clear Linux site and the licensing information isn't too explicit. It's right at the bottom and simply links to the Creative Commons site. If Intel were interested in doing Linux 'properly' shouldn't they be going GPL or Apache? (rhetorical question)
Rambly typing=bedtime I think!
Neal.

P.S. I was entertained by this quote yesterday: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adoption_of_free_and_open-source_software_by_public_institutions
Can't help but think that the ISS could have worded it better to avoid burning Microsoft's ears.
Goodnight.

29. Aug 2016 00:31 by jasonirwin73 at gmail.com: