[Nottingham] I'm living in a hologram

david at gbenet.com david at gbenet.com
Sat Dec 10 22:59:34 UTC 2016

I have a problem.

I have two laptops that are both invisible on my local home network. I discovered their
complete invisibility when I decided to install samba - on both laptops. The Lenovo T410 is
a stand alone file server - samba is installed correctly and all it's configuration files
are correct and no errors are reported.

It took me about a week to realize that both laptops do not in fact actually exist. They
both have ip addresses (1) 192.168.1.3 (2) 192.168.1.4 - but in truth these are a complete
myth. I tried to mount 192.168.1.3 and was told it did not exist via my /etc/fstabs. I even
tried to mount 192.168.1.4 and was told sudo mount -a that it did not exist. I even turned
both laptops firewalls off to see if this would make any difference. No. They do not exist.

My non-existent laptops can access the internet they are constantly updated and have every
linux programme imaginable installed to share files - even gigolo does not work. No web
browser can find my two laptops. I've even installed KDE apps - but my non-existent laptops
still remain non-existent.

Think about two invisible laptops - completely untraceable. No network tools able to detect
their presence. I have got used to the idea that laptop-2 in the domain of Mother Earth and
the Workgroup Earth with an ip address of 192.168.1.3 does not exist anywhere in the known
universe. But I would like to turn this hologram into a reality.

So the question is: How do you turn two non-existent laptops into real visible laptops on a
local area network so that they may share files???

David

--
“See the sanity of the man! No gods, no angels, no demons, no body. Nothing of the
kind.Stern, sane,every brain-cell perfect and complete even at the moment of death. No