[Nottingham] I'm living in a hologram

John me at johnwhitehead.co.uk
Sun Dec 11 17:44:11 UTC 2016

On 10/12/16 22:58, david--- via Nottingham wrote:
> I have a problem.
>
> My non-existent laptops can access the internet they are constantly updated and have every
> linux programme imaginable installed to share files - even gigolo does not work. No web
> browser can find my two laptops. I've even installed KDE apps - but my non-existent laptops
> still remain non-existent.
So they can see the router and get an IP address ..
> Think about two invisible laptops - completely untraceable. No network tools able to detect
> their presence. I have got used to the idea that laptop-2 in the domain of Mother Earth and
> the Workgroup Earth with an ip address of 192.168.1.3 does not exist anywhere in the known
> universe. But I would like to turn this hologram into a reality.
Some routers can provide wireless segregation (I have it turned on on mine) where each wireless client is unable to see anything else on
that subnet. Fine if your servers (i.e. anything sharing stuff) are connected via cables, but maybe this could be your issue ?
> So the question is: How do you turn two non-existent laptops into real visible laptops on a
> local area network so that they may share files???
>
> David

Just an idea which seems to fit the problem.

John