[Nottingham] Meeting NLUG

ForkBombFluf fluf at freeshell.org
Thu Jan 28 12:04:51 UTC 2016

On Wed, 27 Jan 2016, Martin wrote:

> Date: Wed, 27 Jan 2016 10:25:33 +0000
> From: Martin <martin at ml1.co.uk>
> To: NLUG <nottingham at mailman.lug.org.uk>
> Subject: Re: [Nottingham] Meeting NLUG
>
> Neal,
>
> Too small a display to show the addressing on you phablet?... ;-)
>

> On 27/01/16 05:06, neal at tutamail.com wrote:
>> Sure. I'll bring my laptop and maybe do a crypto-currency wallet
>> demonstration. There's some crazy stuff going on with market prices at
>
> That will be interesting.
>
> I'm sure Richard will be able to comment on the Chinese angle!
>
>> the moment. The best guesses are that it's Chinese manipulation and
>> it'll all crash down again. Ethereum has seen some show stopping money
>> being pumped into it over the last week.

The only function of economic forecasting is to make astrology look
respectable, John Kenneth Galbraith, an irreverent economist, once
said.

>> The only episode of Doctor Who I'm aware of is where a viral snake kept
>> transferring itself up people's arms. It scared me when I was little.
>> That was Peter Davidson era!
>>
>> I bet John remembers. ;-)
>
> Scarily, I remember that one... Included jungle and a mind-operated
> armoured stubby walking pod for going through the jungle...
>
> Forgot the gist of the story. Involved mirrors to shrink and extirpate
> the snake creature.

That's some very classic Doctor Who you're talking about there-- some of
my favourites.  :-)

That story was called "Kinda", and it was one of two stories in Peter
Davison's era that featured "the Mara" (the viral snake).  The other
was called "Snakedance".

(And if the image of the snake transferring up people's arms wasn't
creeptastic enough, the Mara could also entered people via their dreams.
Happy nightmares, everyone!)

> Now to the more mundane abuse of numbers

Can we abuse full stops instead?  I've got a vendetta against them at the
moment as I recently had one (that escaped my notice) plaguing me in a
filename.

l8r,

-Stef