[Nottingham] T-shirt purchase and more pertinently, PayPal rant

Jason Irwin jasonirwin73 at gmail.com
Wed Jul 6 08:06:41 UTC 2016

On 06/07/16 06:25, Neal Ponton via Nottingham wrote:
> What I'm not pleased to say is that I'm now locked out of my PayPal
> account.
Yikes! PayPal seems to be a necessary evil just now, I hope some system
comes forward to usurp then. Especially after they tried to get Seafile
to break EU law.

> I've learned (and been burned) in the past that; after buying something
> from eBay using PayPal it's best to go directly to the PayPal website
>and make sure that you're logged out.
Err...whut? Why? I've never done that. Is this a concern that some
sneaky tab will attempt to reuse the session id?

> Firefox password manager is disabled and when the password is piped
>through from Keepass it's AES decrypted in the time it takes to be
>  pumped into the browser login box. It's a pretty neat system once you
>  get it set up.
I do the same via LastPass...really need to move over to KeePassX or
something.

> I'll sort it out at a later date. But isn't it wonderful that one of the
>  Internet's biggest payment processors don't even acknowledge that their
>  users might be using a VPN?
Oddly enough, I was up to silly o'clock arguing with a VPN. It's still
now working. On the laptop...all traffic gets routed over the VPN and
things work.
On the Pi...no, it's a split-tunnel and things break. Grr....
In theory it's just a case of slapping "redirect-gateway" into the
client conf, practice is somewhat different.
All the forum posts bang on about people "fixing" it with arcane iptable
pre-routing mumbo-jumbo, which is just papering over the actual issue.

Actually, is your VPN re-routing all traffic, including DNS? i.e. has it
replaced the default gateway?
If not, could that be the cause of the problem?
"route" should tell you.

Afraid I won't be able to help though, networking is a black art if you
ask me.
Heck, the laptop ends up with two default gateways. Why? I don't know.
It works though. Why? I don't know.

--
║ Jason Irwin ║ OpenPGP (GPG/PGP) Public Key: 0xD0C592B1 ║