[Nottingham] printer recommend for Linux?

Neal Ponton neal at tutamail.com
Sat Jun 4 21:36:08 UTC 2016

I had a cheap Brother laser not so long ago. The HL 1112. It was on offer for
~£40, which is bottom of the barrel for a laser. Anyway, I got it functioning
with CUPS in lubuntu but then the cartridge ran out prematurely and the cheap
replacement cartridge I got from Amazon caused the printer to start groaning
and the motor to stall. The printer and unused cartridges went the way of
Beeston recycling centre when I moved.
I think the CUPS driver I used was a generic workaround, but it did work for
a few prints (Bitcoin paper wallets) before mechanical failure.
This has ended up more a warning against stupidly cheap lasers. :)
Neal.

4. Jun 2016 22:18 by nottingham at mailman.lug.org.uk: