[Nottingham] [Other] *THURSDAY* is the day to *VOTE*

Martin martin at ml1.co.uk
Fri Jun 24 17:23:01 UTC 2016

>>> For those of us in the UK and Gibraltar and other
>>> dependencies, *Thursday* is the day.

>> How much swearing is permitted on this email list?

> I'm very disappointed personally.

Very disappointing. So much for our great ideal of love and unity.

I just hope the aftermath of this does not degenerate into too much of
a game of divisive finger pointing and doom.

Was this a "protest vote" gone too far?...

The Leavers have a lot of positive work to do to pull back from this...

A few headlines in true British understatement:

(OK, so "quite a few"!)

'This was a huge surprise' - Europe's reaction to the EU referendum result
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-36618470

EU referendum: UK 'must not delay leaving'
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-36618317

Brexit: Nicola Sturgeon says second Scottish independence vote 'highly
likely'
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-36621030

EU referendum: Nottinghamshire votes in favour of leaving
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-eu-referendum-36616318

Pound plunges after Leave vote
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-36611512

The great business referendum snub
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-36623723

Glastonbury Festival has sombre opening
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-36619539

A less than United Kingdom
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-eu-referendum-36605656

Brexit: Five challenges for the UK when leaving the EU
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-eu-referendum-36575186

EU referendum: UK science wakes up to new future

'What have we done' - teenage anger over Brexit vote
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/blogs-trending-36616698

And a few choice comments from that BBC News selection:

"For goodness sake, when a referendum outcome is 48.1% remain, 51.9%
leave, then I'd say that you have an undecided nation.

The referendum is not legally binding. The UK government does not have
to act on the outcome of this referendum. I would say that the
democratic way to look at the results is that there needs to be more
debate, more real information, more time spent and more opinions
taken. Just because of that tiny margin, I don't think you can call
the UK decided on the matter."

"Let me be the first one to warmly welcome Scotland as the next full
member of the European Union and wish good luck to everyone in the
newly 'independent United Kingdom'."

"EU leaders have insisted that the UK must move swiftly to negotiate
leaving the organisation, saying any delay would prolong uncertainty.

... They then released a statement saying they regretted but respected
the British decision.

They called for the UK "to give effect to this decision of the British
people as soon as possible, however painful that process may be. Any
delay would unnecessarily prolong uncertainty".

They added that the deal agreed with Mr Cameron in February to protect
London's financial markets, curb immigration and opt out of closer
union "ceases to exist" and "there will be no renegotiation"."

"Nicola Sturgeon said it was "democratically unacceptable" that
Scotland faced the prospect of being taken out of the EU against its will.

She said the Scottish government would begin preparing legislation to
enable another independence vote."

"All but one council area of Nottinghamshire, including Nottingham
city, has voted to leave the EU." ... "a dreadful decision".

"The pound has fallen to levels not seen since 1985 following the UK's
referendum vote to leave the EU. Shares have also been hit."

"This is not the outcome business wanted,"

"The video closed with Cox's quote: "We have more in common than that
which divides us."

Blur's Damon Albarn then took to the stage with members of the
Orchestra of Syrian Musicians and began with a reference to the EU
referendum, saying he had "a very heavy heart".

"To my mind, democracy has failed us," he said. "Democracy has failed
us because it was ill-informed. I just want all of you to know that
when you leave here we can change that decision. It is possible."

His comments were met with a resounding round of applause."

"There's something important about humanity accepting other tribes and
other cultures. It started with the end of slavery, then women's
votes, then gay marriage - [occasions] where we didn't see other
people as the enemy. I feel sad that Britain has gone back to being an
island, in a metaphorical way."

"Before a vote was cast, a taxi driver in the north-west of England
told me that Remain would win because the establishment would make
sure it did."

"Nearly two million UK nationals also live abroad in EU countries - so
any British measures targeting EU workers could trigger retaliation
against UK nationals abroad."

"UK science will have to fight to make sure it is not an after-thought
as Britain renegotiates its relationship with the EU"

"As the result of the EU referendum became clear, the poll's divisive
effects across generational lines became highly visible online.

Some of the most visceral reaction to the Leave vote came under two
related hashtags: "Not in my name" and "What have we done" shot into
Twitter's top trends list on Friday morning"

And... Gibraltar voted 96% to Remain. Is that another strategically
critical outpost we will now have to concede to be 'given away'.

There are some strong sentiments there. We live in interesting times.

All very disappointing for the poor state of British politics and our
culture.

Hopefully we can have some positive groups wake up to overcome the
negative?...

Martin

- --
- - ║   Martin Lomas    ║ OpenPGP (GPG/PGP) Public Key: 0xCEE1D3B7 ║
- - ║ martin@ ml1 co uk ║ Import from   hkp://subkeys.pgp.net   or ║
- - ║ ----------------- ║ http:// ml1 .co .uk/martin_ml1_co_uk.gpg ║