[Nottingham] Upgrade your RAM: SQL Server for Linux

Andy Smith andy at bitfolk.com
Wed Mar 9 08:47:52 UTC 2016

Hello,

On Tue, Mar 08, 2016 at 09:07:48AM +0000, Aaron Jackson wrote:
> I'm wondering why anyone would want to run Microsoft SQL Server on a
> Linux box, but apparently that option will soon be available.

I've heard it's actually not a bad database. Unfortunately quality
of implementation is secondary to other things like cost, marketing
and first-mover advantages. For example, MySQL is quite a poor
database engine compared to say, PostgreSQL!

    http://grimoire.ca/mysql/choose-something-else

MS-SQL is probably better than MySQL, but I doubt it will be
unseating MySQL as the most popular database on Linux…

Cheers,
Andy