[Nottingham] OK, where has 9/10 of my network gone?

Luke contact at lukespear.co.uk
Mon Mar 21 12:22:10 UTC 2016

A further suggestion... using tomato firmware here, but it ought to
still apply: power much over 80mW doesn't bring additional benefits, so
I've maxed out there, instead of the 400mW offered (as per benchmarking
I've seen online). Another big improvement here, particularly for iPad
use, is the width of your channel. If you can change it to 20Mhz
instead of 40 you may see an improvement, depending on the device. Speed
or range.

Finally, you can set a router option with some firmware to use Japanese
channels, opening up channel 14 which is the next non-interfering
channel up from 1, 6 and 11. Pretty sure none of your neighbours will be
on that - may at least be able to narrow down the issue.

Oh, one *final* thing would be to check for spurious RF. I recently
diagnosed bad TV signal to an ungrounded/unshielded HDMI cable from rpi
to TV. It went from no reception on certain HD channels to full signal.
This is after buying/installing a new aerial in the loft (needed doing
anyway...) and using a signal meter to check for optimal positioning...
I replaced said cable with a cheap Amazon one and the problem was
resolved (also grounding the TV seemed to work, but that was a messy
solution and not quite as effective). So if your router is behind the
telly, maybe you're being swamped by some poor loud electronics?

Luke