[Nottingham] Looking for a new Linux laptop

Luke contact at lukespear.co.uk
Tue May 24 13:07:59 UTC 2016

> >the Intel AMT which is basically
> >gameover if you ever wanted true privacy (and to use the internet...).
> If you want RMS-grade freedom, you need freedom down to the metal.
> Or you choose to sacrifice some freedom for convenience.

Sorry to drop HN links so often, but this on Intel's 'remote management'
seemed pertinent: https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=11747487

Hopefully awareness levels will rise sufficiently to spark some more
action. It's probably likely over time.

For now, libreboot machines offer a way out, but also a way back in time. No
hi-res screens, no 2-in-1 form-factor, no fanless running...

I mean, we could rely on the BIOS setting to disable AMT, but how many
of us actually trust that to do as it says?