[Nottingham] Beginning to program on linux desktop

Daryl daryljdudey at gmail.com
Wed Nov 2 18:52:16 UTC 2016

Hi Ben,

In all honesty, Linux is very similar to Windows when it comes to
development. C# was of course originally a Microsoft created language but
it's available on Linux. Java is very close to C#, and really requires an
IDE to work with (such as Eclipse, IntelliJ or NetBeans). It also needs a
ton of boilerplate code, for this reason I don't think either are great
starting languages.

I would recommend going with Python, there are a stack of resources
available online to get you going and it's considered a solid starting
language. I would try and avoid using an IDE or some super fancy editor at
first (which does completion/suggestions, etc.), just a simple text editor
or Python's IDLE - this is just my opinion, but it's important to build
things from scratch before having some tool assisting.

Daryl.