[Nottingham] Warning: non-Linux post

Fluf Lagomorph fluf at freeshell.org
Wed Sep 7 21:38:51 UTC 2016

Sorry, I should have been clearer-- what I meant was that was good enough
for the proof of relationship part.  A few photos (not 50), a few (paper)
letters, flight stubs, a handful of e-mail print outs, and I did
submit phone bills too, though, now that you mention it.  I don't think
they'd have known what to do with IM logs yet then, anyway, TBH.  That and
it was a same day process-- submit in the morning, and pick up the visa in
the afternoon if your request was sucessful, so there was a finite limit
to how much they could read in that time.

The finiancial requirements were phenominally less stringent coming as a
fiancee to the UK, rather than him going as one to the US, which I'd be
willing to wager is still the case now.  I believe he had a letter from
his employer, a few bank statments, a letter verifying we had a house to
live in, and yes, a notorised copy of every page of his passport.  No
bills other than the phone ones to my memory, though.  Children's birth
certs and divorce certs weren't relevant to us, but they may well have
also been a requirement back then, too.

All of the evidence had to go with me to the closest British consulate,
where I paid something on the order of $400 for the fiance visa.  I then
had to apply for ILR after our marriage (and another similar fee, I think)
and citizenship became an option 3 years later.  I've no doubt the fees
will have all gone up (plus there's now the laughable "Life in Britian"
test)