[Nottingham] Fwd: new computer for Linux - advice please?

Fluf Lagomorph fluf at freeshell.org
Thu Nov 9 14:36:48 UTC 2017

On Thu, 9 Nov 2017, Denny via Nottingham wrote:

> On 09/11/17 10:36, godfrey--- via Nottingham wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> My trusty Acer just packed up yesterday after 7 years of faithful
>> service. Have been informed a failure on main board, so beyond
>> economic repair. I am using a borrowed machine at moment but looking
>> for a replacement.
>> Any suggestions? I have been using it for a database, word processing
>> as well as email.
>> Local shops look at me as idiot when I ask will it run Linux.
>>
>> Greetings to all,
>>
>> Godfrey
>>
> I suspect like most things, it's how you asked the question.  Try asking
> them if it will run Ubuntu.  It doesn't matter if you don't want/like
> Ubuntu but by shaping the question like that it's more likely that you
> won't get the blank stare or at least you've given them a fair shot at
> not looking like a village idiot.
>
> If it will run Ubuntu then you have a reasonable shot at getting your
> distro of choice installed.

I suspect the same.  If someone asked me if a PC (or even a Mac) would run
Linux I might look a bit sideways at them as well.  Most, if not all,
computers will run some distro of Linux, however there could be varying
degrees of functionality and support avaiable for varying bits of
hardware, depending on the distro.  Like Denny said, a better question
might be "Which one will run Linux distro X best", and if they can't
answer that (most probably can't), then get some potential make and model
numbers and basic hardware specs (ie. model of graphics card), and use
your borrowed computer to go online and look up info on how nicely they
play with your chosen distro.

Good luck!

-Stef