[Nottingham] Fwd: new computer for Linux - advice please?

Denny dennis.furr at gmail.com
Thu Nov 9 14:13:20 UTC 2017

On 09/11/17 10:36, godfrey--- via Nottingham wrote:

> Hi,
>
> My trusty Acer just packed up yesterday after 7 years of faithful
> service. Have been informed a failure on main board, so beyond
> economic repair. I am using a borrowed machine at moment but looking
> for a replacement.
> Any suggestions? I have been using it for a database, word processing
> as well as email.
> Local shops look at me as idiot when I ask will it run Linux.
>
> Greetings to all,
>
> Godfrey

I suspect like most things, it's how you asked the question.  Try asking
them if it will run Ubuntu.  It doesn't matter if you don't want/like
Ubuntu but by shaping the question like that it's more likely that you
won't get the blank stare or at least you've given them a fair shot at
not looking like a village idiot.

If it will run Ubuntu then you have a reasonable shot at getting your
distro of choice installed.