[Nottingham] New laptop

Daryl daryljdudey at gmail.com
Sat Aug 11 21:41:35 UTC 2018

I have a new Dell XPS 15 laptop (i7/32GB/HiDPI screen) which came
pre-installed with Windows. I had to utterly blast the drive and re-install
Win 10 as the BIOS was configured in a way as to make Linux installation
impossible (RAID versus ACPI for instance).

I then managed to achieve a happy(ish) Ubuntu/Win 10 dual boot until today
when the Wi-Fi card has utterly disappeared from Ubuntu. Slightly stumped,
I can use a Wi-Fi dongle to connect now but not ideal.

I had no real choice over the laptop incidentally, but icky BIOS/NVIDIA
(with awkward fall back to Intel graphics to save power) and many apps not
supporting HiDPI well has made it a slightly annoying set up so far!

I shall persist as always and I'm sure will end up in Linux nirvana :-)

Daryl.