[Nottingham] The Human Side of IT Support?

Martin martin at ml1.co.uk
Fri Aug 10 11:18:28 UTC 2018

Folks,

Is this an inevitable 'gotcha' for all those providing damned-if-you-do
damned-if-you-don't IT support?

*Stress bad workplace cultures are still driving security folk to drink*

Self-medicating with booze is no answer, hackers warned at conference

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2018/08/08/infosec_professionals_alcohol/

#####
... A key factor is stress. Security professionals often work long
hours, have to be instantly on call for emergencies, and the
consequences of messing up on the job can be massive. When humans get
stressed, the brain floods with cortisol...
#####

All an inevitablity with the usual impossible demands made upon
always-on always underfunded impossibly fragile vulnerable abused ad-hoc
yet 'critical' IT? For whatever systems AND the *people* involved?

Is /that/ why we like our beer so much?!

That should make for good comment at our next meet and fix-it evening...

;-)

(All whilst I'm chilling out on a brief break from any sort of IT support!)

Cheers! :-)