[Nottingham] New laptop

Duncan notlug at pendinas.org.uk
Tue Aug 14 10:27:34 UTC 2018

On 11/08/18 22:41, Daryl via Nottingham wrote:
> I have a new Dell XPS 15 laptop (i7/32GB/HiDPI screen) which came pre-installed with Windows. I had to utterly blast the drive and re-install Win 10 as the BIOS was configured in a way as to make Linux installation impossible (RAID versus ACPI for instance).
>
> I then managed to achieve a happy(ish) Ubuntu/Win 10 dual boot until today when the Wi-Fi card has utterly disappeared from Ubuntu. Slightly stumped, I can use a Wi-Fi dongle to connect now but not ideal.
>
> I had no real choice over the laptop incidentally, but icky BIOS/NVIDIA (with awkward fall back to Intel graphics to save power) and many apps not supporting HiDPI well has made it a slightly annoying set up so far!

If it helps, you can find the bash script I use to scale Gnome3 and Firefox between
HD monitor and HiDPI monitor screen here[1]

It won't harm Firefox if it is running when you run the script but the new setting
won't take.

You can change the gnome settings in gnome-tweak-tool -- but gnome-tweak-tool is
broken in my Debian atm and I find a one shot command line tool quicker and more
convenient.

[1] https://gitlab.com/DomenLasOpenSource/bash-common/blob/master/bin/scale-gnome-for-screen

HTH
Duncan