[Nottingham] Ubuntu 18.04 upgrade causes loss of graphical display

godfrey at gnnix.co.uk godfrey at gnnix.co.uk
Sat Aug 25 20:18:45 UTC 2018

Hi all,

  Having to dredge up long lost sys admin memories ( and borrow Windows
[yuk!] laptop from daughter) because latest upgrade has left my beloved
machine unable to run in graphical mode. I found various advice pages
and have installed both lightdm and unity. Trying to start gdm fails and
I only have terminal session. Cannot spot error message in log files so
do not know exact cause. Running startx from terminal fails with fatal
error (not specified what). Then installed lightdm and rebooted - hooray
graphical screen, but login fails even though I know password was typed
correctly.
Ho, hum - project for bank holiday is to try and sort it all out.

Godfrey