[Nottingham] Broken Windows

Martin martin at ml1.co.uk
Mon Jul 23 19:15:24 UTC 2018

On 21/07/18 09:59, Daryl via Nottingham wrote:
> At the gym this morning and saw this. Should I suggest an upgrade to Linux?

Thanks for that and the curious run of examples... Any significance for
now for more prominent silliness?

In the infamous words of Father Ted:

Careful now!...

Personal disclaimer:
All just my humble personal opinion and questioning mind as always! ;-)

I've got multiple examples of public Microsoft whatever windows BSOD and
crash screens as seen on the local buses and estate agents' displays
upon occasions.

There's even multiple Reddits dedicated to such silliness:

https://www.reddit.com/r/PBSOD/

https://www.reddit.com/r/bluescreenofdeath/

And did this ever happen?!:

Windows 10 'blue screen of death' could actually become useful
https://www.cnet.com/news/windows-10-blue-screen-of-death-could-actually-become-useful/

ISTR: As paraphrased from Linux Format and Linux Voice editorials:

We've had over TWO DECADES of Windows BSODs... You'd have thought that
Microsoft could have fixed their system by now!... Hence they are far
too easy a target to make stale fun of every day...

More of a question is how IT and IT infrastructure in general can be
wrested from the vice of proprietary greedy silliness so that we can all
have a better more cooperative user experience.

There's even a fortune cookie or few about that... One of which I was
reminded of recently is:

#####
All of you people should be ashamed of yourselves! MicroSoft is the
reason there are so many people in my IS department, and the reason half
of us have jobs. If Sun had won, we could probably get by with two
people sleeping like the Maytag man. But because of MS, there are eight
people gainfully employed as highly paid contracters, looking busy,
feeding their kids. And the way it looks, I stand to be employed and
wealthy for a long, long time.

  -- From Slashdot.org
#####

Now that Microsoft has embraced running Windows on Linux systems, Linux
on Windows systems, selling Linux, selling Microsoft products that now
*natively* run on Linux... Will Windows remain 'broken' (by design?)?...

All just my humble personal opinion and questioning mind as always! ;-)

A good one to chew over for the next social! :-)